Residents receive an extensive range of benefits through the University of Chicago Hospitals. The following is a brief outline of some of the currently available benefits for the University of Chicago (NorthShore) Internal Medicine and Preliminary Year Residents.
Current Available Benefits
- Health Insurance - Residents may choose from one of three health plans for single or family coverage.
- Dental Insurance - Both a DMO and PPO managed care plan is available which provides comprehensive dental benefits to residents through a network of private practice dentists. Coverage is free for a house officer choosing single coverage in the DMO plan.
- Vision Service Plan - (Optional) Provides a full range of coverage available through participating and non-participating providers.
- Flexible Spending Accounts - (Optional) Offers the opportunity to pay for certain anticipated non-covered health and/or dependent care costs on a pre-tax basis.
- Life Insurance - A variety of options - free for $20,000 of coverage.
- Long-Term Disability - Available at no cost to residents.
- Vacation - Four weeks paid per year.
- Sick Leave - Five days paid per year.
- Medical Leave - Four weeks paid for medical or maternity purposes.
- Competitive salaries - Competitive salaries – For the University of Chicago 2023-2024 Academic Year:
- Tuition remission - House staff spouses, domestic partners and unmarried dependent children qualify for tuition remission (one-half the full tuition) at any University of Chicago school.
Additional University of Chicago Benefits
- Workers' compensation
- Supplemental retirement annuities
- Employee assistance program
- Lab coats
Individual subscription to Up-To-Date for each trainee
Internal Medicine categorical house staff may receive reimbursement up to $1000 for program approved travel related to presentations at national meetings
Free parking at Evanston, Glenbrook, and Skokie hospitals
Meal tickets provided during call rotations
For detailed information on the benefits listed, please visit the University of Chicago Graduate Medical Education website or call the office of housestaff affairs at 773.702.6760.